Physical Disability Board of Review September 24 2017, 0 Comments
Physical Disability Board of Review
If you were medically-separated from the U.S. military between September 11, 2001 and December 31, 2009, you now have the opportunity to have your disability rating reviewed by the Physical Disability Board of Review (PDBR) to ensure fairness and accuracy.
What is the Physical Disability Board of Review?
The Physical Disability Board of Review, or PDBR, was legislated by Congress and implemented by the Department of Defense (DoD) to ensure the accuracy and fairness of combined disability ratings of 20% or less assigned to service members who were discharged between September 11, 2001 and December 31, 2009.
- The PDBR uses medical information provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the military department.
- Once a review is complete, the PDBR forwards a recommendation to the secretary of the respective branch of the armed services.
- It is up to the individual service branch to make the final determination on whether to change the original disability determination.
For a visual overview of how the process works, view the application process.
- Congress passed the Dignified Treatment of Wounded Warriors Act in January 2008.
- DoD issued the DoD Intstruction 6040.44
- The PDBR was then introduced in 2009.
There are significant differences between the PDBR and the Board for Correction of Military (or Naval) Record (BCMR/BCNR) review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for Physical Disability Board of Review of my disability separation if I was put on the Temporary Disability Retired List Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL) prior to September 11, 2001?
Am I eligible for Physical Disability Board of Review if I was placed on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL) between September 11, 2001 and December 31, 2009 and then permanently separated from my Military Service, with severance pay (e.g. taken off the TDRL) with a combined rating of 20% or less AFTER December 31, 2009?
More information can be found at https://health.mil/PDBR or by calling our office at 973.937.6010